2023 Boost Overview#
Here's what we currently plan to cover in 2023 (not necessarily in this order):
- Learning to learn the RWX way (becoming an autodidact).
- History and use of UNIX and Linux operating systems.
- Install terminal application, podman, and Ubuntu Linux container.
- Know the difference between a container and a virtual machine.
- Navigate and manage files from command line.
- Manage processes from command line.
- Edit text with commands and with terminal editors.
- Take efficient, searchable notes with Markdown and MkDocs.
- Work with structured data in JSON, YAML, and delimited formats.
- Understand how the Internet actually works.
- Save source to GitHub with git and gh from command line.
- Write safe shell scripts in bash and ash with shellcheck.
- Follow UNIX philosophies and use filters over plugins.
- Customize Bash profile and environment.
- Customize Vim text editing sessions.
- Manage terminal windows with screen and TMUX.
- Do effective research from command line with lynx, w3m, and AI (ChatGPT).
- Sample a little coding in Perl, Python, C, Go.
- Understand the basics of a Dockerfile and when to use one.
- Organize commands for portability and start your own "dot files" repo.
- Create and maintain a consumable, sustainable resume.
- Learn just enough Web development to create a personal profile page.
- Network and foster a professional learning network/community.
- Know when and how to certify and get a good starting Linux job.
What won't we learn?#
- How to install Linux on hardware.
- How to use Linux graphic user interfaces, desktops, and window managers.
Last update: 2023-05-13